Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Gestalt

My sketch done with a greater acknowledgment of Gestalt
My sketching subject

I think the just the word Gestalt is cool to say all by itself. It reminds me of gesture, which comes back to the meaning of the word an organized whole that is perceived as more than the sum of its parts, or even simpler how the small things relate to the big picture. And even more literal form and shape. I feel like after learning about this word and having to do sketching activities, I feel more confident in my sketching abilities than I did before. Because before when I would sketch I would have only focused on a small area and then worked my way out around whatever drawing I was doing.
This can be applied to everything design related, because when designers alike try to come up with new ideas, they can stem from a theme that id the larger picture and then after wards the smaller details come easier to fit the theme of whatever the idea was in the first place. For example, lets say you want to plan a wedding but you don’t really know what style to choose, wedding planners oftentimes consider the clients personality to dig for a style preference. Like if a client is loud and happy, their style might be more bolder, and edgier because of their personality, and this is like the big picture. Then after the client finally agrees to go with the “Edgier” style for a wedding, the cool details or the smaller aspects can be delegated.
Be it either sketching or picking a style for a wedding, Gestalt fits its way into things to make sense and to organize things.

No comments:

Post a Comment