Monday, October 18, 2010

Exhibit in Walker Hall, Vanishing Traditions

A shot from Hmong New Year during a ball toss courtship game
Unfortunately I was not able to make it to hear the curator Bea Roberts speak, but I was able to view the extraordinary collection of garments and ornaments. When I first walked in to the gallery I felt a sense of awe and familiarity, I have seen similar creations by the Hmong people. After doing a little research, I found out that some Hmong people migrated to Southern China, and that is probably the reason for similarity. The following link is of an article that I used as a source http://www.international.ucla.edu/article.asp?parentid=12590
I really felt a sense of passion and dedication in the pieces because of all the extensive details that took years and years to complete. I remember my friends in elementary telling me that their traditional garb would take a lot of time and patience to make.
Some of the differences and similarities between the garments that I noticed was that the traditional Hmong garb had a lot of bright neon colors, and some of the pieces in the collection did have a lot of color, but not neon. Another difference that I noticed was that there was a lot of garments with two or three colors, like black and gold. But one of the real big similarities was with the ornamental headdress with all the dangling charms, I remember a lot of headdresses with charms.

No comments:

Post a Comment