Monday, October 4, 2010

Design in Society

Before I started taking design classes I did not grasp to the fullest extent how much design is intertwined with our society. I would say that I may of had a much smaller notion of it, and was obviously yearning to learn more through my classes. I appreciate good design so much better now, I see it everywhere!!! Its almost cataclysmic, from the layout of a hotel lobby, or a fashion spread in a magazine, even new product packaging. I feel that I have a bigger appreciation for functional design though, seeing something created that fulfills a greater purpose in society, is I feel, the utmost return for a designer. Like currently with the Green trend, products that are created from sustainable materials, or reclaimed materials I feel set a moral standard that we should be taking care of our earth. And that we should be aware of where our products are coming from and where they will eventually go. 
Sustainable shopping bag made from rice bag and an old pair of jeans.

Side View
In a previous class I learned this lesson through a Challenge assignment where we had to study where plastic bags where being made from and where they would go. I learned that they were being made with a lot of petroleum oil, and after a couple of uses, then they would be tossed and end up in the dump for a thousand years before breaking down, or fly away and get caught in a tree, or float into the ocean and create more havoc there. After learning the sad truth, we continued our assignment by making a sturdy reusable shopping bag from sustainable materials. There were a lot of creative bag design submissions that the class completed, like a book turned bag, and a basmati rice bag, and some made of fabric samples. This is the type of design that I feel provides a practical solution to a large problem. Through this assignment I was able to indirectly educate people about the purpose behind the design and they loved hearing about it. My family friends would see me carrying the bag that I had made and they asked me, "What is that?" "Why did you make it?" and "How can I make one?" Their curiosity and minds opened up to the idea of functional design, because it made sense. I hope that in the future my designs still grab peoples attention and provoke dialogue.