Monday, November 29, 2010

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade



I am always excited for Thanksgiving not only because we get to gather with family, but for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I was unable to watch the whole thing, but I did catch some old favorites and an unexpected guest which was Takashi Murakami. His float design were of his most popular characters Kaikai and Kiki. It was really cool and unexpected to see Takashi partake in the parade because we learned about it in class not too long ago. Even though I said we had learned about Takashi, I had not quite remembered why we learned about him, so I looked up a little bit of his background to see why Housefield thought he was so important to learn about. And apparently Takashi is credited with starting “Superflat.” After reading his biography I can see how Takashi evolved from his college years to the artist that he is today. He studied traditional Japanese art, but then “became disillusioned with Nihonga, and became fixated on otaku culture, which he felt was more representative of modern day Japanese life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment